Most people hear the word braces, and they instantly think of a teenager with a mouth full of metal. We think it’s high time that we changed that mental picture because, today, people of all ages are straightening their teeth. And with many adults jumping on the braces bandwagon to get the smile they’ve always wanted, here’s what you need to know about getting your teeth straightened out.
Why More Adults are Getting Braces
New orthodontic technologies are allowing adults to skip the awkward teenager look and enjoy very discrete braces that are mostly undetectable. With lifting this stigma, we have the opportunity to align adult teeth, which would otherwise potentially have been left misaligned for a lifetime.
If you have crooked teeth or an over or under bite, you may also have problems such as:
- Trouble chewing and swallowing food
- Suffer frequent cavities and a higher chance of gum disease
- Headaches and earaches
- Jaw pain
- Facial asymmetry
Misaligned teeth are often caused by genetics or habits such as thumb sucking and lip biting as a child. Teeth also shift over the years and in some cases where a retainer has not been worn, teeth may need extra help getting back into place.
Types of Braces for Adults
Regular braces are applied to the outside of your teeth. A popular option is to apply them to the inside of teeth (called lingual braces) so they are largely undetectable.
New orthodontics technologies offer ceramic-coated braces which are colour-matched to your teeth and are almost entirely invisible.
Aligners are much like an almost-invisible mouth guard. These aligners gently encourage your teeth into place up to 24 months as you swap out a new aligner every couple of weeks.
Prepare Yourself: 12 Questions to Ask Your Dentist
- Which adult braces option will be right for me?
- How long will I need braces for?
- What are the maintenance steps?
- What will I need to do to prepare my teeth for braces?
- How do I take care of my teeth after removal of braces?
- Will my facial profile change after removal?
- How often do I need to come back for adjustments?
- What are the combined costs for installation, dentist visits and post-removal care, and what are the payment options?
- Will braces affect my lifestyle?
- Is there any pain involved?
- What could go wrong and what do I do if it does?
- Will I need a retainer after removal?
Things to Do Before and After Braces
- Resolve any gum disease or cavities before having braces applied
- Make sure to strictly follow any care instructions given by your dental practitioner
- Ask your dentist and oral health therapist any questions you may have
- Wear your retainers after the removal of your braces
- Take before and after photos!
Will adult braces be right for you?
No one should ever feel embarrassed about their teeth. With today’s high quality and affordable orthodontic treatments, you, no matter your age, can have that healthy, straight, and beautiful smile you’ve always wanted. Click through to schedule a visit or call us at (03)90415301 to learn more about adult braces.